Sunday, July 29, 2012

Family Day

While I was growing up, Sunday was typically family day for my family. We would do something together: frequently working in the yard, going somewhere for the day, camping, etc. As I know have my own child I understand more how important "family day" is. Ashley and I get alone time almost everyday during the summer. It is just me and her hanging out, spending time together, and making memories.

This weekend has been a bit of a family weekend for me. Yesterday Jay, Ash, and I went to do the balloon release together.

Last night Larry, Ashley, and I went to my parents house to play games. Playing games happens to be one of my favorite ways to spend family time. It is fun and still gives you a chance to talk. Last night we played Imaginn which happens to be one of my favorite games.

This is a picture from our "photo finish" during the first round!

When I was thinking about this blog post last night one of my friends posted "Friends are the family you choose for yourself" to his facebook wall. This is a very true statement and one I completely agree in. There are people in my "family" who aren't technically family. For example my brother's friend "Derek" is someone I refer to as brother, he calls me sis, and we have always been and will always be close. He is part of my "family". Frieda my babysitter while growing up will always be part of my family, as she was just like a grandma to me. The list continues, but the point is sometimes family doesn't just mean blood relatives. Family means the people you feel "at home" with, the people you feel comfortable and safe with.

My "family" has changed somewhat over the years, especially with my marriage and welcoming new people into my family, and then my divorce which somewhat blurs the family lines for many.

It usually takes a lot for someone to get within those boundaries for me, and yet sometimes people sneak in and I look back and have no idea how or when that happened. That is the situation I have been facing lately. Larry is a very special person in my life, and the past few days I have noticed that he has gone beyond my normal boundaries. He has been there to hold me when I cry. He has been with me when I need support, or need someone to talk to. In addition I am totally comfortable around him so he gets to see me be myself with nothing holding me back (at times I am sure he wishes that wasn't the case ;-) ) He knows when something is bothering me, and I open up to him and tell him what's going on. He knows my personal thoughts, fears, and dreams. He knows when something is going to bother me, and when he should be there to offer extra support. He is an amazing person and I am so lucky to have him as part of my life. I don't know how he slipped his way past my boundaries, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

3 comments:

  1. I love that you've let me into your life, and I so enjoy getting to know you. You're a pretty special lady ;)

    ReplyDelete