Monday, July 30, 2012

Books, Books, and more Books

I love reading. Reading gives you a chance to escape reality for a minute, and experience a world you wouldn't experience otherwise.

Every year I set a goal for how many books I would like to read throughout the year. This only counts books I read for myself.... not kids books, not books for work, etc. This year my goal is 50. Typically I read more than that, but when I am discounting a large portion of books I read I felt like this was a fair number.

So far I have read some chick lit easy books such as the "Shopaholic" series. I have read some classic books like "The Importance of Being Ernest." I have read many books from the new Neta Jackson series. Then I have read books that are outside of my comfort zone such as the first book in the "Fairies of Rush" series or "The Lost Girls and the Wander Years". Though they are all very different they all provide a level of enjoyment.

Recently I started reading "The Shack". This is not a book I would typically read as it tends to fall into my category of "over hyped." I have often found that books like this that get so much attention, aren't books I will end up enjoying. However, I am optimistic that this book will be different. This book provides a lot to think about, and some things to reflect upon.



In addition to these books which count towards my goal I read many young adult books or books geared towards upper elementary school. I am always looking for new books to read in my classroom, and I personally believe that currently some of the best books coming out fall into these categories. In addition to the new books coming out there are books that have been around for years that are simply wonderful such as "Summer of the Monkeys" or "Indian in the Cupboard." "Summer of the Monkeys" is one of my favorite books, and I read it with my students every year. This year we did a large project with it, and then at the end the students got to watch the movie. After our project I asked the students who enjoyed the book and thought I should use it next year, and every child in my class said they enjoyed it and thought I should continue to use it. After watching the movie they all agreed that the book was better. You know when a class full of 3rd graders would rather read the book than watch the movie there is no denying how amazing the book is. As I continue reading I will always be looking for more books that fall into this amazing category, and hopefully one day will even write one that belongs here.


If you have any suggestions for books I should read myself, or books I should read at school I would love to hear them. If you have read any of the books I mentioned above I would love to hear your reviews of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment