Friday, September 28, 2012

Music Makes Memories

Music has always been a part of my life.

I can remember being very small and singing Christmas songs as my mom played them on the piano. I can remember sitting and singing with my grandpa as he played his guitar. With all of these things music started having strong ties to memories. I might not be able to tell you what I had for lunch yesterday, but that song I learned in Kindergarten... I can tell you every word.

A song can come on the radio and leave me in tears.  I can remember what I was doing at other times in my life when the song was playing. I can remember what I was doing the first time I heard it, or who I was with when we all sang along. Some songs bring up bad memories, while others are filled with joy. Either way hearing a song can put me right back in that moment all over again.

The last couple weeks I have been missing music. I miss marching band. I miss choir. I miss going to local concerts. So instead of just being sad about it I did something about it. I joined a local choir through our church. We have an amazing director, and I think this will be a great thing for me. He got me all the music this week and we will soon be preparing for our two Christmas performances. I am excited to bring music back into my life in this way, and bring along all the memories that come with it.

http://youtu.be/t-ouxPhYy7Y


 This song has been on my mind frequently and for many different reasons, but today seems like the perfect reason to share it. My life seems to be slowly finding it's new normal, and yet some things will always need to be present in order for it to feel like home, and maybe music is one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment