Tuesday, September 11, 2012

September 11th

I didn't feel right about posting a Terrific Tuesday post today so instead I am going to take a little trip down memory lane.



I can remember September 11, 2001 like it was yesterday. I was a Freshman in college. I was in my first class of the day, which happened to be a study group lap that was linked to another class. We found out about the first plane hitting when we got into class. We immediately turned on the TV and discussed it all throughout class.

I then went to my geology class. We had a test that day. I remember a couple comments from that class vividly. First a guy who sits next to me said "I can tell you one thing if we are under attack I sure am glad to have a hard ass Texan on our side." The other was when a student asked our teacher if we were still having the test... he responded "Yes that's out on the coast it doesn't affect us here" Oh how wrong he was.

All classes that day dismissed at noon and we all met at the main flag pole on campus to pray. After our time together everyone headed back to the dorms. All doors were open and everyone was glued to the TV watching the stories coming in.

The next few weeks passed in a blur. Campus felt empty as many from Whiteman had been sent places. I had two guys in my French class who were pilots out of Whiteman and they would be in class some and gone some. They would literally fly out in the evening after class fly all the way to Afghanistan and then fly back.

The news reported that the B2s were moved off the coast and yet we watched them fly over campus.

We had a memorial candle walk from downtown back onto campus. Students and local people from town all came together. People prayer, people sang songs, and everyone remembered. It was a scary time and yet everyone bonded together. It is a day I wish never happened, and yet I hope it is a day that no one forgets.

No comments:

Post a Comment