Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Working Wednesday

Well I had a new experience at school yesterday.... I got to teach with no electricity. The first transformer blew around 8:45 and we lost all computers and the lights in my room. The lights did come back on when the emergency lights kicked in. However, the air conditioner stayed down. The hallways stayed dark though. Then around 10:15 another transformer blew. At 1:00 they had to power everything down to fix the transformers and we went the rest of the day with nothing at all. It was an interesting experience, but overall it went very well. We got a little hot by the end of the day, but nothing horrible.

The kids and I spent some time working on religion, and then used a great teachable moment to write a story about the day the power went out. The kids loved it, and of course they wish the power could go out everyday :-)



In addition to that I was noticing today how kids seem to really have a sense of how people feel. I get hugs from my current and former students daily. However today I was having a rough time and even more stopped by to give me hugs or gave me hugs as I walked down the hall. I literally hugged at least 20 kids today, and it really helped lift my mood. I don't know what I would do if I didn't get their sweet hugs every day. It really is one of the many joys of being a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment