Thursday, August 9, 2012

Top 10 Thursday

Top 10 Favorite Foods

Honestly I love food, and some foods I like better at different times of the year, so this entry was a bit hard to write, but as of right this second while I am writing this these are my favorite foods, in no real order.


1. Taco Salad


        I love taco salad, and I am not talking about a taco salad you get when you go out to eat. I am talking about a real taco salad that has mostly lettuce, add in meat, kidney beans, onion, cheese, and crushed tortilla tips.  Then the key ingredient is topping it all with Dorthy Lynch dressing. This is definitely one of my favorites. In fact I wanted to have this at my wedding, but was told it wasn't really appropriate :-(


2. Chili


          Chili is one of my favorite meals in the fall and winter. Of course it is a must have during the Super Bowl, but we have it was more often than that. My dad makes amazing chili, and has taught us all well. If you make my dad's chili right the spoon should stand up in the pot.

3. Beef Stroganoff


             This is another one of my dad's specialties (are you noticing a patern?). My dad really is an amazing cook though so it is hard not to enjoy anything he cooks. I love beef stroganoff, over rice, not noodles. We often have this for my birthday and/or my mom's birthdat.

4. Fried Catfish


          People who have known me very long have likely heard the story of me and the all you can eat catfish place at the lake. Yes I was a think little 13 year old, and yes I ate lots and lots and lots of catfish, and then I stopped because everyone was staring at me like I had grown another head. I do love catfish though and it is a meal you can feed me where you know I will clean my plate.

5. Icecream


          Who doesn't love icecream? Seriously icecream is one of those foods that can make any day better. I love all kinds of icecream, but I will say icecream always reminds me of my grandpa Harold. He loves icecream and has a theory about how there is always room for icecream because it helps settle the food in your stomach ;-) That's not my favorite story about icecream and my grandpa though... my favorite story happened when I was probably in second or third grade. We were having a garage sale and my mom had told all the kids we could come in for icecream cones. So she is standing by the counter scooping them up and handing them out, and in comes my grandpa all squated down and following along in the line so he could get his too. I can't even think of this story without laughing, and it always reminds me the importance in staying young at heart.

6. Doner Kebab



Doner Kebab was one of my favorite things to eat when we were in Germany and we ate it many times. I also had it a few times in Italy though honestly it wasn't quite as good there. The horrible thing about this food is once you try it you are going to love it, and then there are none here. I have had cravings for Doner Kebab so many times but there just isn't anything I can do about it.... unless one of you decided to take me back to Germany I guess ;-)

7. Pork Chops and Mashed Potatoes


I honestly don't have any great stories for this one, or even reasons why. It is just one of those meals I really enjoy! 

8. Deluxe Nachos... and all Mexican food


People in my family are probably looking at this picture and saying, "Hey, that's not deluxe nachos!" and they are right, but as there is no way to get deluxe nachos anymore, there is also no way to get a picture. We use to go get deluxe nachos from Taco Hut in Rolla. They looked similar to what was pictured, but also had more lettuce on them, and a wonderful salsa. Ever since Taco Hut closed my family has been on the hunt for somewhere with nachos as good, so if you know of a place drop me a comment. 


9. Hot Dogs from a campfire


I love campfires, and there is nothing like a hotdog cooked over a campfire. Camping has always been a part of my life. When I was little we went very frequently as a family, and I went with girl scouts. As an adult I have gone many times, but not as often as I would like. Then there was the summer between 5th and 6th grade. For me it was the bets summer ever though I am sure my parents would disagree. That was the summer we moved from Iowa to Kansas City. We moved at the beginning of the summer so dad could start working, but we hadn't bought a house yet. So we spent the summer living at a campground until we bought a house a week before school started. Now for me it was amazing we got to swim, play mini golf, walk around, be outside, have campfires, play on the playground, and meet all sorts of new people. However, there were 2 adults, 3 children, a dog, and a cat all living in a 29 foot trailer, and a tent (when it wasn't raining). I really wouldn't trade it for anything though. 

10. Bread Bowl Soup


Panera's broccoli cheddar bread bowl soup is definitely one of my favorites. It is a food I can eat even when I am sick and it always manages to calm my stomach. I love the flavor, and the warmth. There is just something about it that is unlike any other soup.



Well there you have it, my Top 10 Favorite Foods! Now that I have proceeded to make myself very hungry I think I will end this post. I hope you enjoy. Don't forget to leave me a comment with your favorites, or a Top 10 Topic you would like me to cover in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment