Sunday, March 3, 2013

Sunday Comfort





When I woke up this morning I started my Sunday like I start every Sunday, by visiting the Post Secrets website. This has been part of my Sunday routine for several years now. When I first found the website, I didn’t share it with anyone. I felt like I could really relate to the things being posted, and often had an emotional reaction while reading them. I worried that if I told anyone else about it, they wouldn’t have the same reaction and that would somehow cheapen it. It wasn’t worth the risk. I have since gotten over that, and now often talk about the site and recommend it to others, but there are only one or two people I would ever be in a room with when reading them. For me I like to read them alone and really have a chance to think about them without others around. It’s the one part of the week that I always allow for some “me time”. 

After finishing that part of my morning routine I started thinking about what the day had in store for me, and it hit me that Sunday is one of the only days that really is consistent in my life. Sunday is a pretty routine day. 

For most of my childhood, Sunday was considered family day. We would go to church together and then do something as a family. Often this meant tackling a family project such as putting in a new flower bed or cleaning up the house. However, it also meant going on outings, playing games, or just spending time together. 

This tradition is something I have attempted to carry on with Ashley. I try to make time for us to work on things together or go out and enjoy something fun on Sundays. Sunday evenings we typically get together with Larry and Stomie and do something the girls enjoy. We might watch a movie, go play at Burger King, go bowling, or play at the park. 

It’s become a routine in our lives and something all of us tend to count on and look forward to.  Often when we see Stormie during the week she leaves by giving us a hug and saying “Bye, see ya on Sunday.” When I pick Ashley up on Sundays it is typical for me to hear “What are we doing this week?” or “What time are we seeing Larry and Stormie?” 

I can’t quite remember how this routine got started, but it seems to be one of the only consistent routines we have. With everyone having busy lives we have a very fluid schedule and plan throughout the week. Yet, somehow this is something we have managed to hold onto.  We talk about needing to be flexible and just going with the flow on things, and still we haven’t given this one up. Maybe we all need a bit of consistency and routine. Maybe this gives us a sense of comfort and security. Maybe it’s a way of showing that even when everything else is crazy we can come make time for each other… or maybe it’s just how it works out. I don’t know the reason or how it came to be, but I know it’s a day that I look forward to and a day I enjoy, and for that I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment